Board Members – UKSIF
UK Sustainable Investment and Finance Association
Do you have the enthusiasm, expertise, connections, and capacity to help our CEO and staff team take this influential organisation to the next level at this crucial time for sustainability and sustainable finance?
UKSIF is currently seeking Board members, to be elected by our members at our October AGM, who can work with and complement the Board in supporting UKSIF to increase reach and influence, build a stronger public profile, attract new members – especially in under-represented industry areas, and deliver against UKSIF’s strategic plan.
UKSIF Board roles are unpaid voluntary positions elected for a three-year term with the opportunity to stand for re-election for a further term. Reasonable expenses will be paid.
UKSIF is the membership association connecting the UK sustainable investment and finance community, committed to growing sustainable and responsible finance in the UK. Our vision is a fair, inclusive and sustainable financial system that works for the benefit of society and the environment.
UKSIF exists to bring together the UK’s sustainable finance and investment community and support our members to expand, enhance and promote this key sector. Our work drives growth and new opportunities for our members as global leaders in the sustainable finance industry.
Founded in 1991, UKSIF represents a diverse range of financial services firms committed to these aims. Our 300 members manage over £10trn in assets under management (AUM), including investment managers, pension funds, banks, financial advisers, research providers, consultants and NGOs.
UKSIF and our members have been hugely active in, and supportive of, efforts to promote the sustainable finance agenda and work closely with policymakers and others to find new ways to overcome the barriers to the growth of sustainability and deliver progress towards decarbonisation of the economy.
- Empowering the financial services industry to move further and faster to ensure a sustainable and responsible financial system
- Supporting members in the transition to a sustainable future, as exemplified by Net Zero and UN Sustainable Development Goals
- Advancing the UK and our members in their leadership on sustainable and responsible finance and the integration of sustainability into all strategies and decision-making
UKSIF’s work involves influencing government and regulatory policy, particularly aligned to our Policy Vision and Net-Zero report, building and connecting the UK sustainable finance community, and sharing knowledge and expertise between members.
About the roles
We are seeking Board members to complement the Board, and expect that different candidates will bring a range of skills and experience to UKSIF from the attributes listed.
Candidates are nominated in a personal capacity and are not required to be UKSIF individual members or representatives of UKSIF organisational members.
- Commitment to UKSIF’s mission and values
- Capacity and willingness to devote time to UKSIF
- Willingness to act as a UKSIF ambassador, raising the organisation’s profile and credibility
- Willingness to fulfil the duties and standards of conduct required of a Board member/director of a company limited by guarantee
- Understanding of sustainability and sustainable finance, although a detailed understanding is not essential
Experience and skills
The Board particularly seeks to build its skills in the following areas, recognising no one individual is likely to meet all, or even several of these criteria:
- Segments of UKSIF’s membership not well-represented on the Board – asset owners, banks, universities, law firms, alternative investment
- Experience and expertise in strategy, business growth, risk management and/or communications
- Professional skills – legal, HR, marketing
UKSIF is committed to maintaining a progressive and inclusive organisation. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of ethnicity, race, gender, religious belief, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status or disability.
How to apply
Please send a short candidate statement (less than 150 words) explaining why you wish to be considered and detailing any affiliations with UKSIF member organisations by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and “Board Application” in the subject line. Candidates may also share details of social media accounts or a LinkedIn profile that can be circulated with their candidate statement.
Candidates should include their name, organisation (if applicable) and address, and state their consent to be elected as a Director of the UK Sustainable Investment and Finance Association (UKSIF).
An application form is available on the UKSIF website here.
Candidates are nominated in a personal capacity and are not required to be representatives of UKSIF members. However, candidates require a proposer and seconder to be eligible to stand for election at the AGM. The proposer and seconder must be representatives of a UKSIF member organisation and must communicate their nomination by email to UKSIF on email@example.com using the following wording:
“I hereby nominate [nominee name], [nominee organisation], [nominee address] as a candidate for election to the UKSIF Board at its 2022 AGM. I confirm I am a representative of a UKSIF member organisation, duly qualified to attend and vote at the 2022 UKSIF AGM.[name], [organisation], [address]”
A proposer/seconder nomination form is available on the UKSIF website here.
There is no limit on the number of candidates that each member may propose or second, but all nominations from one organisation must be made by the same representative.
Candidate statements, names of proposers and seconders and social media/LinkedIn links will be circulated to the UKSIF membership for voting in advance of the AGM on 13 October. Each UKSIF member organisation can submit one ballot paper.
We are happy to arrange a confidential discussion for potential candidates with the UKSIF CEO or current UKSIF Board members to discuss the application process and the role of the UKSIF Board. If this is of interest, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you require additional equipment, resources or support in order to participate in the application process, please let us know and we will work with you to ensure that your accessibility needs are met.
The closing date for applications is 8 September 2022. Please note, as this deadline is specified in UKSIF’s Articles of Association, late applications cannot be accepted.
Completed application form including the following information:
- Information on name, organisation, address and consent to be elected as a Director of UKSIF included in the application
- 150-word candidate statement sent to email@example.com
- Optional – details of social media / LinkedIn profile
Completed proposer/seconder nomination form:
- Proposer has sent proposal details to firstname.lastname@example.org with the required wording
- Seconder has sent proposal details to email@example.com with the required wording
- All of the above completed by 8 September 2022
Current UKSIF Board
Elected members continuing in office 
- Fong Yee Chan, Vanguard
- Louise Dudley, Hermes Investment Management
- David Farrar, Peers for the Planet
- Catalina Secreteanu, Sustainalytics
- Lyn Tomlinson, Cazenove Capital
Elected members retiring and eligible for re-election 
- Cathrine de Coninck-Lopez, Invesco
- Rishi Madlani, NatWest Group
Elected members retiring and not eligible for re-election 
Co-opted members continuing in office 
- Michael Meehan (Chair), TCR Innovations
- Sarah Gammoh (Treasurer), Independent